© MMXVI/MMXIX - McGeoch Technology Limited - All Rights Reserved
Get In Touch
McGeoch Technology Limited
Lower Tower Street,
Birmingham B19 3PA
T: +44 (0) 121 687 5850
F: +44 (0) 121 333 3089
The Legacy of McGeoch
William McGeoch established his company of brass founders in Glasgow in 1832. As the
century unfolded, McGeoch moved into the manufacture of fittings for the then new and
exciting market for electric lighting.
By the early 1900’s the company had a
substantial, purpose built, head office in
Glasgow incorporating a warehouse and three
floors of showrooms. They also established
showrooms in London and Newcastle and a
manufacturing plant in Birmingham. The range
already encompassed a wide choice of domestic and marine electrical fittings from ‘artistic’
statuettes (below left) holding lamps - as used on the RMS Olympic, RMS Titanic and HMHS
Brittanic - to watertight navigation lights (above right).
Later catalogues contained further additions to the McGeoch range
including marine switchboards on slate panels with open switches and
the main manufacturing plant in Birmingham featured more prominently
with custom built design offices incorporated.
The ‘SS City of Paris’ (top right) was launched in October 1888 and from
1889 to 1891 and again from 1892 to 1893 held the Blue Riband as the
fastest ship on the north Atlantic route. William McGeoch’s son,
Andrew, was responsible for bringing in the historic contract to
supply electric lighting fittings for the ship which was built at the
Thomson Yard in Clydebank.
‘RMS Lusitania’ (bottom right) was a British ocean liner and briefly the
world's largest passenger ship. The Cunard Line launched the ship in
June 1906 at a time of fierce competition for the North Atlantic trade. She
was built by John Brown & Co in Clydebank and many of her electrical
fittings and lighting were supplied by William McGeoch & Co. Her sister
ship, the ‘RMS Mauretania’, was launched a few months later and also
benefitted from McGeoch electrical equipment and lighting.
In 1999 William White Switchgear was acquired by McGeoch Technology bringing with it current experience
of designing and manufacturing power distribution and control and instrumentation panels for warships.
Today, McGeoch Technology's entire operation is centred in Birmingham where a modern design and manufacturing
capability has been established for power distribution panels, instrumentation panels and internal and external light fittings
for both harsh environments and more budget conscious projects.
Right: Three historical photographs from the McGeoch
archives. (Left to right) - McGeoch’s Award-Winning
Exhibition Stand at London Earl's Court in 1955, Her
Majesty Queen Elizabeth visits the McGeoch Stand at
London Earl's Court in 1955 & The McGeoch Shop Floor in
1945. Click image to enlarge ...
High integrity engineering solutions to exacting standards